Facts in a Box
Facts abou the Democratic National Convention
Published: Thursday, September 6, 2012
Updated: Thursday, September 6, 2012 00:09
1) The first national convention of the Democratic Party began in Baltimore, Md. on May 21, 1832.
2) An important event leading to the American Civil War, the 1860 Democratic National Convention, adjourned in a deadlock without choosing a candidate for President.
3) The 1924 DNC was the first major party national convention that had the name of a woman, Lena Springs from Tennessee, placed in nomination for the office of Vice President.
4) During the eight days of the 1968 DNC, protesters and Chicago Police outside of the convention.
5) The 2012 DNC is claiming to be the most open and accessible convention in history due to the use of social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook.
fought for control of the streets of Chicago outside of the convention.
5) The last convention in which the Democrats had no doubt about who the presidential nominee would be was during the 1980 convention.